Saturday, February 18, 2006

Addictive

I want to write about a couple of things I'm really into these days: Prison Break and Arctic Monkeys. Yes, it's more pop culture stuff, but what's a blog for if you can't write about...well, anyfrigginthing that comes to mind, really.

Image hosting by Photobucket
"Darwin wins inside these walls, not Einstein"

Not since "Friends" and "The Practice" have I been completely addicted to a TV show. And I'm talking about the looking-forward-to-going-home-so-I-can-keep-my-eyes-glued-to-the-TV-screen-in-four-or-five-hour-annoy-the-rest-of-your-housemates-marathon kind of addiction. Prison Break only has 13 episodes so far, but it's the best 13 hours of television I've seen in recent memory. For those who have no idea what the show's all about, think "The Shawshank Redemption" meets "Macgyver" meets "Seventh Heaven." (Alright, I just threw "Seventh Heaven" in there because of the concept of love for family, but nah, Prison Break isn't anything like that). Structural engineer Michael Scofield gets himself into the prison his company renovated to try and get his brother Lincoln out. He only has about a month to do it, because Lincoln is about to be executed for murdering the Vice President's brother, a crime he insists he didn't commit. It's one of those series that gets better every week. You hear that all the time these days, and most times, it's just all fluff, but in this case, it's really true.

Piracy is bad, we all know that, so don't be like me, don't buy the pirated DVD set. Instead, wait for it on TV. The Crime/Suspense channel is airing "Prison Break" starting Tuesday, February 21 at 10pm. (Incidentally, it replaces another show that's got me hooked - "The Law Firm," a reality show where they look for the best trial lawyers. It's "The Practice" meets "The Apprentice." I hope they come out with a second season).

Image hosting by Photobucket
...Up, Up and Away...

What can I say? Not since Oasis and Coldplay have I been completely addicted to a British rock band. The hype surrounding Arctic Monkeys is incredible. And I daresay all of it is well-deserved. They're being called the first real superstars of the iPod age. Why? Well, they uploaded their songs on the Internet and made them available to anyone who wants them. Pretty soon, they were packing in the venues they played in and eventually sold more than 360,000 copies in the first week alone of their debut album, "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not," the fastest-selling British debut album in history. They also won Best British breakthrough in the recent Brit awards.

The music is loud, fast and unapologetic. From the first few insistent chords of first single "The View from the Afternoon," you know you're in for a wild ride. The whole album is chock-full of classic British punk-rock, with traces of modern Brit-pop sensibilities. Lead vocalist Alex Turner sounds like Jamie Cullum on speed, and he's quite a writer too. He sings in "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor": "Oh there ain't no love no / Montagues or Capulets / Just banging tunes in DJ sets and / Dirty dancefloors and dreams of naughtiness"

Be like me. Download these guys' music, either from their site or a few fan sites. They're worth the trouble.

2 Comments:

Blogger monsterboy said...

I was just wondering about the sustainability of Prison Break as a series. It's going to last three season tops, I guess. It's good though, I can totally relate, as an engineer. Hahaha.

11:57 AM  
Blogger peejay said...

Napanood ko na ep14! Damn, sobra talaga mambitin tong show na to! I love it! Hehe. =)

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home