Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Highlands High

The closest I have ever come to playing golf was practicing my swing with a kiddie club set in my cousin's house in Japan when I was 11 or 12 years old. Last weekend though, I found myself on the fairways of the Tagaytay Highlands, trying not to make a complete fool of myself in front of some Aussie friends from work. It was really like a being a fish out of water, with me bravely trying to swing a 3-iron so it would at least hit the ball further than a few feet away. (You know you're not really doing well when even the girl caddy who looks like she's barely out of her teens is giving you golfing tips).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My caddy Jhen-Jhen (yes, those 'h's are really there) took this shot

At the end of the day though, it was exhilarating just to be there, breathing in fresh, honest-to-goodness mountain air instead of noxious, asphyxiating black soot from Metro Manila's streets. For a change, it was relaxing to see greens all around as far as the eye can see, and the Taal lake and volcano in the distance, instead of the concrete and asphalt jungle of Makati.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The third hole (I think)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
By the 11th or 12th hole, we were a bit exhausted. Our caddies though were as cheerful as ever.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Driving the golf carts was fun!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
View from our unit. That's Taal lake in the distance

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The Tagaytay Midlands course is about several hundred feet straight down from our balcony

I don't even know how I scored (at least I got a two-over-par on the 17th hole, I think), but my Aussie mates think I actually got better with each hole we played. If that's the case, golf is definitely something I'd like to try again. Anybody out there with a club membership?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home